Friday 23 February 2007

Freeezelog continued

The continuing saga of my sick laptop. Tech Support asked me to keep a log of the odd occurences, crashes etc, so I have been doing so... since last October. It had a repair in September, but the problems have gradually come back, and they have fobbed me off with "it's a software issue that is a chargeable repair" ...as in Very Chargeable. So they've had me wiping and/or re-installing either everything or just (just!) the Operating System. Three times. They have now conceded it needs another repair (I was hoping they would replace it after all this hassle), but I am still weeks away from when I'd have a long enough gap to be without it for several days. So, limping on. Here are today's adventures (so far - it's only 16.30).

23/2/07: More flashing display. Spinning beachball in the right hand side of the menubar is back, time frozen at 13.28 - i.e. when I got in and 'woke up' the Powerbook (i.e. woke the screen. I still have sleep setting at Never due to 17/2 problem) As I type it is also present in Mail which seems to have locked up again. Yep. Resisting force quits. Looks like another restart or force shutdown and restart. But first... Got Mail to Force Quit via Activity Monitor (though still showing as active in Dock). Noticed in AM something called 'SystemUIServer' in red with 'not responding'. Force Quit via AM and RHS of Menubar disappeared



23/2/07: Back after another Force Shutdown and Restart. First Textedit froze while I was typing the previous entry. Then the Finder froze (spinning beachball). Tried Force restart via Cmd-Opt-Power - beachball stopped spinning. So, another Force Shutdown.



23/2/07: Mail has added a priority menu next to the signature menu in the Message window ALL BY ITSELF. I did not select this in Prefs (I didn't even know it was an option) Who is in charge here?





powered by performancing firefox

No comments: