Sunday 3 February 2008

Mixed

A few weeks ago I was sitting waiting for a meeting to start and one of the others, a church leader I've known for years, asked me how was Christmas. We'd had mum over to Manchester for Christmas. It was a good week and she enjoyed being spoiled and meeting family and friends, but she was beginning to struggle with her illness and had gone into hospital soon after going back, and was not doing well. I thought for a few seconds and said 'mixed'. He then said oh dear, I'm going to wonder what that means now and come up with all sorts of things. So, I told him what I meant... and that I was trying to give him an honest answer as a break from the standard Christian greeting. You know, the one that goes: "'Hello-how-are-you?'; 'Fine. How-are-you?'; 'Fine.'" He was sympathetic, but I wonder if part of him wished he hadn't asked!



Try going through a Sunday morning without using the word 'fine'. It's not easy!

No comments: