Sunday 17 February 2008

Peace Week... Esther, Jonah

For the last 5 years I have been involved in organising a "Peace Week" in this part of Manchester, an area that has been plagued by gang violence and gun crime. This is for anyone and everyone in the community to get involved in positive activities, together generating good news as a counter to all the bad. This of course includes the Faith Groups, which includes the churches. Hmm... hang on a minute. Peace Week... followers of the Prince of Peace. Is it just me or is there a somewhat obvious connection here? I'm beginning to think it's just me as I can still count on one hand the number of churches that actually do anything for Peace Week (that's out of around 40 that we contact about it).

In my church we looked recently at the book of Esther. This verse struck me: "For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place.." 4 v14. This is from where Esther is given the opportunity to speak up for the Jews, and it's as if God is saying to her "actually, you're not my only option, but if you're up for it, I can use you to make this happen." Is it too strong to say to the churches that are not taking the opportunity that is Peace Week that God's concern for this community is such that he will bless and use others rather than wait for his people to do something? I'm reminded too of this passage where Jonah's concern about his own comfort is contrasted with that of God for the city.

“You have been concerned about this vine, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight.
But Nineveh has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city?” Jonah 4 v10-11.

Is my frustration boiling over into too heavy a reaction?


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: